Friday 5 July 2013

A bit of this and a bit of that

Last night's FNWF was fairly productive and, although there are no finishes in sight, I'm pretty happy with where I've left everything.

First up I started on a pillow that I bought as a kit.  I had already cut the strips so it was just a matter of sewing them together.  There are some wool applique flowers to go along the central piece, but I just didn't feel like doing them last night, so this is as far as got with this project.



Next up, I got to work on Block 2 of Chick Jubilee.  Again I had already prepared the freezer paper shapes,  and just needed to spray starch and press the fabric pieces into shape.  For the circles I used aluminium foil wrapped around the shape to help create a neat edge.  The wheels looked perfect when I removed the freezer paper after using this method, but as you can see, in the process of glueing each piece into place, the pointy bits have appeared.  Not impressed!  I didn't do any of the stitching last night as our lighting is not very good and my eyesight is even worse, but I did a wee bit this morning.  I've made it very hard on myself by sticking too many pieces on too soon, but I'm not removing them as it was a mission with all those curves!




These little lovelies were what I tackled last.  I have wanted to try these for so long!!  I found what I think is absolutely stunning fabric, and just had to try my hand at hexagons, at last!  I think they're perfect!



This final photo is of Block 1 of the FQS Mystery Block of the Month.  I could pretend that I rustled this one up last night along with everything else, but no, this was last weekend's project.  It needs a good press, but I'm really pleased with how this turned out.  It only required a little unpicking here and there to get things lining up right, and I'm feeling rather proud of how I've improved since my first attempts at piecing.



On that note, I will leave you and go and see what the other lovely ladies got up to last night.  Thank you so much for having a look here, and I hope you will visit again.  And thank you Cheryll for hosting FNWF.

Take care
Helen

13 comments:

  1. wow Helen you had a great night ,well done and have a lovely weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Helen - you did heaps!! Love the hexagons but then I am a bit partial to a hexagon!! LoL!! Your other work is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Helen, so much stuff done. Love the fabric of the pillow and can't wait to see the chick completed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All you projects look lovely, the little chickens are going to be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much done! It all looks lovely Helen. What is the fabric you're using for your hexies? It's very pretty, lovely colours and patterns. Block 1 looks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hexies are gorgeous - as is the cute little bird on the bike.
    Over here from FNWF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some lovely finishes Helen...well done!
    sugary hugs
    wendy :O) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You chose some wonderful projects for FNWF. Thanks for joining in too. Love your hexie colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waow Helen !! many projects on the go !!! I love your little chicken ! so cute !
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Helen, your working on some lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely projects and fabrics in them..

    ReplyDelete